HTC originally told us to expect the update to Android 4.4 “Kit Kat” to arrive on the One some time in January. And then this morning happened. Through the official HTC USA Twitter account, HTC has announced that the Kit Kat update is now rolling out to the unlocked U.S. and developer units. Yes, “now” as in today.
Our unit has not received the update yet, but we’ll be checking often. Should your unit receive it, be sure to let us know! Also, don’t forget to post up screenshots and other details in the comments.
Kit Kat introduced all sorts of new goodies on the user side of things, many of which we have highlighted here. We’ll see how much of it HTC includes, though we’re hoping for most.
The update to Kit Kat also brings Sense 5.5, a version of HTC’s skin that recently launched on the HTC One Max.
Source: Droid Life
Current Version: 4.1.10
Requires Android: Varies with device
Size: Varies with device
What’s in this version:
This update includes enhancements to Tweets in the home timeline.
Be a part of the moment
•Tweets with Twitter photos, Vine videos, and other select content now show a preview in your home timeline. Tap the image to reveal the full screen version. Tweet a picture without text and let the image say it all Joining the conversation just got easier
•You can reply, retweet, favorite, or follow someone straight from a Tweet in your home timeline Note: You can switch off Tweet previews in “Settings”
Details: Twitter is the best way to connect, express yourself and discover what’s happening.
• Connect with people and your interests to get unfiltered access and unique behind-the-scenes perspectives.
• Express yourself with photos, videos and comments.
• Discover what’s happening. Get real-time stories, pictures, videos, conversations, ideas, and inspiration all in your timeline.
Current Version: 4.51
Requires Android: 2.1 and up
4.51 – 30th August 2012
– fix memory leaks
– fix issues on tablets (internal browser, counter handling)
4.50 – 28th August 2012
– rework the application navigation to be more fluid
– rework the tablet UI to better fit 7″ tablets
– add a simple Draft system (automatic save/restore)
– add Facebook picture uploading
– fix Twitlonger expansion
Plume, a beautiful, highly customizable Twitter client for you!
Plume is a beautiful and completely customizable Twitter app that will revolutionize the way you use Twitter! Brought to you by the authors of the popular Beautiful Widgets, Plume is one of the best Twitter clients for Android! (Plume was formerly known as Touiteur)
– Colorize your timeline/friends from Twitter
– Multiple twitter accounts support
– Scrollable widgets to display your twitter timeline on your home
– Mute twitter users, word or applications
– Facebook timeline & posting
– Live Streaming in app
– Picture preview
– Twitter geotagging
– Swipe scrolling
– Very customizable
– Internal browser
– Autocomplete twitter hashtags and username
– Share photo with Lockerz, Twitter, Twitpic, Plixi, YFrog, Posterous, Mobypicture, MyPict.me
– Bit.ly support for your URLs
– Inline twitter conversation
– Display replies to a tweet
– Display twitter profiles
– Pull to refresh
– a lot more!
Plume is a beautiful, highly customizable Twitter client, which will change the way you feel about Twitter!
NOTICE: THE READ LOGS PERMISSION WAS ADDED TO GET LOGS FROM WITHIN PLUME, ON JELLY BEAN (4.1) THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.
LOGS ARE ONLY READ & EMAILED WHEN THE USER DOES SO VIA THE SETTINGS.
ONLY PLUME RELATED LOGS ARE USED.
Download From Play Store
Requirements: Android 2.1+
Overview: Official Twitter app for Android.
Official Twitter app for Android.
Follow your interests: instant updates from your friends, industry experts, favorite celebrities, and what’s happening around the world. Get short bursts of timely information on the official Twitter app.
Real-time search reveals breaking news, while trending topics show what’s happening now around the world. View trends, browse your interests and see suggested users in several categories, including fashion, entertainment and travel, or search to find out what people are saying about topics you care about, such as politics or big sporting events.
Features: Browse interests, Find & follow friends, Tweet, Retweet, Favorite, Follow, exchange Direct messages with your followers, share photos and web pages, real-time search, trends.
Requirements: Android 1.5+
Overview: This is the ADS-FREE version! The #1 Twitter app for Android with the most features of ANY Twitter app. And the only app with “Zip It”.
Millions of downloads! Lightning fast with a clean and attractive user interface.
“Excellent Twitter client.”
“Contender for best Twitter app. 5/5 bars.”
“Nicely designed… Colorful but clean.”
* Zip It – zip annoying tweeters or Twitter trends from your timeline without unfollowing
* Instapaper support – Save long stories to Instapaper to read later
* Color code tweets – Choose a custom color for your tweets and mentions
Plus the most features, all for FREE:
* Simultaneously post to Twitter and Facebook
* Multiple Twitter account support
* Multiple widgets
* Retweet with or without comment
* Twitlonger service
* Conversation thread view
* Twitter lists
* Customized Twitter notifications
* Enhanced search functionality (including user and nearby search)
* Suggested Users (suggests people to follow)
What’s in this version:
5.9 adds three additional themes – Orange Crush, Fire Engine Red, and Purple Sage (phone only)
+ Honeycomb tablet improvements for viewing photos, TweetMarker, Instapaper/Read It Later
Schedule tweets to send later
Several new Themes and Settings
TweetMarker service keeps your place on multiple devices
Zip It enhancements and settings
Photo enhancements, including via.me support, pinch zoom, save pictures to device
Signature option lets you sign tweets
These are the days when a giant company who’s bread and butter is “search” has enough backing in both monetary and production as a brand to become more popular than tech companies like Apple and social media giants like Facebook and Twitter. It’s anyone’s game these days and it certainly seems like a cutthroat business to stay one step ahead of the competition. But Google, a company most noted for reinventing the wheel and actually making it better takes the polls. In a survey conducted by ABC News and the Washington Post, staggering results revealed that Google beat out Facebook, Apple and the Big Tweet for most popular tech brand. The results show that 82% of Americans held a good and favorable opinion of the search giant with 53% of them holding “strongly” favorable opinions. There were only 9% of individuals who held an unfavorable opinion about the company. Apple came in at a close second with 74% of which 13% had an unfavorable view of the fruity company and only 37% expressed a “strongly” favorable word. Facebook came in at 58% and Twitter came in at a low 34% for favorable opinions. FB had a whopping 28% rating for unfavorable opinions and Twitter had 36% in the unfavorable dept. The survey ran from March 28th through the 1st of April and 1,007 adults took part in the study. What would you’re numbers look like if you were given the opportunity to rate these companies?
Source: Langer Research
Requirements: Android 1.5+
Overview: The best way to manage your social networks in a simple app.
Seesmic is the best way to manage your social networks in one powerful and yet simple app. You can see and update your Facebook and Twitter accounts all at the same time, search and get notifications for new messages! You can share photos, videos and location using the service of your choice like Lockerz, yfrog, TwitPic and even YouTube. We also include a widget so you won’t ever miss a single update, from any service.
Our features include:
– Full integration of Facebook, including management and posting to Facebook pages you are an admin of
– The best Twitter client on Android, with all the features you need in a simple but powerful interface: multiple Twitter accounts support, cross-posting, lists, retweets, Twitlonger integration for longer tweets, conversation thread view for public conversations and a lot more!
– Shortcuts: add shortcuts to accounts, the composer, searches, lists, Facebook pages… directly on your phone home screens, anywhere you want!
What’s in this version:
- Updates to this version include the following added features:
- Viewing from Instagram and Twitter within your timeline
- Ability to upload images directly to Twitter
- Removed support for Chatter
- Implemented ad-support
- Various bugs fixes and minor improvements
Unlocks premium features and removes the ads